To say that food is a big part of your Disney World vacation is probably the understatement of the year. Guests plan entire trips around advanced dining reservations, snacking around world showcase, the Food & Wine festival, and all sorts of cult foods. We have dipped our fingers in the "Disney Food Universe" making a top five snacks video and also a top five vegetarian meals at the Magic Kingdom.
In May we decided to re-create our favorite meal at Disneyland with the four cheese gratin from French Market. Today we will continue the culinary exploration by re-creating and improving upon the Pan Asian noodle dish served at The Polynesian Resort's Kona Cafe.
Keep in mind that I get a little flustered trying to type out recipes...seeing that I don't follow recipes. So here we go:
- Soba noodles. (usually come in a standard size, of three or four bundles.)
- Veggies of your choosing, we used:
- red bell pepper
- extra firm tofu
For the sauce:
- three cloves garlic, minced
- a one inch piece of ginger, minced finely
- table spoon of soy sauce
- table spoon of fresh or dried red miso
- either two teaspoons of sugar, or a 1/4 cup of pineapple juice
- black pepper to taste, we like a lot...
-1 tablespoon of corn starch
-3/4 cup water
-nice squeeze of siracha if you like some heat...
1 - Saute all veggies very lightly in canola oil with a pinch of salt. Cook until almost done, but still have a bit of crunch.
2 - Boil soba noodles according to package instructions. Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking water and add to veggies. Drain noodles and add to veggie mixture
For the sauce:
-Make a "thick slurry" out of the corn starch
- combine all ingredients in a bowl and microwave for about two minutes. Stir to check consistency...should be able to stick on your finger a bit before running.
For the tofu:
- drain tofu, and dry with cloth towels. Cut into half inch slices, and cut in to triangles.
- on a non stick surface sauté on low heat, flipping occasionally until they are pretty and golden.
Assemble noodles/veggies on plate first, drizzle with sauce, and place tofu on top. Garnish with scallions and a lime wedge. :)
Let me know how you guys enjoy it! :)